A suitcase is a necessary luggage when traveling. There are 3 common elements found in all the suitcases: handles, wheels and zipped interior. Although, they might look the same, there are few important features that you need to take a look at before a decision is made to invest in one (more on this in the next section).
Early suitcases back in the 1900s used to be light but not spacious since the idea was that these are there to only carry the suits and few other light clothing. Today, the suitcases are light-weight, but leaps and bounds more spacious and more convenience features are added to them as well.
My today’s topic is about the best rated travel luggage (particularly 3 suitcases that are the highest on my list) available to you today which are not only easy to use and spacious but also are very affordable.
What You Need to Look At?
There are 5 aspects of a suitcase (mentioned below in no order of importance) that you need to take a careful look at before making a decision to buy one.
- Weight – You would have to check with your local airline but usually the weight limit per cabin ranges from 35 lbs to 50 lbs per suitcase depending on if it’s a domestic or international travel. Therefore, a light-weight luggage (weight < 10lbs) is usually preferred especially if a group of people or big family is traveling together (on top of the # of pieces of luggage that need to be carried around when traveling, weight should not be another factor adding to the “stress-level”).
- Size/Space – Here again, you will have to check with your local airline what size restrictions do they have in place (i.e. this depends on the size of the aircraft, how much room it has for storage etc). As far as the space is concerned, you need to take a look at the “pocket potential” of the suitcase. You need to find bags with deep pockets which cover most of the size of the suitcase so you can use these to keep various items (i.e. flat shoes, light clothing, chargers, medicines etc). Just a side note, please make sure that the zippers on these pockets are of good quality (i.e. medium to heavy-duty).
- Durability – Along with zippers and wheels (discussed next) on the suitcase, another decision related to durability that needs to be made is if it’s a hard shelled case or soft-sided. Let’s talk about the pros and cons of each:
Hard-Shelled Cases (Pros and Cons):
- Water-resistant (i.e. you can easily carry fragile items such as iPads, iPhones, cameras etc) and today they are coming scratch-resistant as well.
- Easier to maneuver as compared to soft-sided suitcases since most of these come in four wheels which makes it easier to carry around congested areas.
- The most significant drawback that I believe there is with hard-shelled cases is if these hard-shelled suitcases are not checked-in since they are difficult to put underneath the seats or in the overhead bins.
Soft-Sided Cases (Pros and Cons):
- The biggest advantage of a soft-sided case is that it’s very flexible in terms of pockets so small items such as chargers, medicines, kids toys, pacifier etc are easily accessible.
- The 2 most significant drawbacks of soft-sided cases are that they do not absorb water well and since these are available mostly in two wheels, they are less easy to maneuver.
4. Maneuverability – Wheels can be a very important aspect of making a decision on which suitcase to buy. Two types are two-wheelers (mostly common in a soft-sided case) and four-wheelers (mostly common in a hard-shelled case). Before buying a suitcase, please make sure that the wheels are firm in place and easy to roll. As has been mentioned above, the four-wheel suitcases are easy to maneuver since they can spin 360 degrees and are especially useful when carrying heavy loads of luggage. On the other hand, the two-wheelers have recessed wheels which are less prone to damage/breaking but are less convenient when carrying heavy load and going through congested areas. 5. Price – Of-course price is another important if not the most important factor for you when buying any item. Good news for you, I will be only providing the reviews for best travel luggage bags (i.e. 3 best suitcases) which meet the aforementioned criteria and at the same time fall in the price range under $200 (very reasonable price for luggage bags).
In the next section, we will go right into the pros and cons of the 3 best travel luggage bags (i.e. suitcases) that I believe are right now available for you in the market. We will check-off the aforementioned buying criteria as we move along the evaluation process in the next section.
Samsonite Omni PC Hardside Spinner Review
Today, we will only focus on size 24″ and 28″ since our topic of today is on suitcases. The picture below is of size 28″.
- Depending on your travel requirements and needs, Samsonite Omni PC Hardside comes in a couple of suitcase sizes (28″ and 24″) and also in various colours (currently available on Amazon are black, teal, caribbean blue and radiant pink).
- This luggage bag is extremely durable, it’s a four-wheeler with wheels having the ability to spin 360 degrees hence to move this bag even on rough surfaces is rather easy and you would not have to pull any heavy weights around the airport. The zippers and handle are sturdy and the fact that it has a hard-shelled case, it does a pretty decent job to protect your goods (especially the more fragile items) from damages, keeping them dry. Also, the micro-diamond texture helps in keeping this suitcase scratch-resistant as well thus lasting longer for you.
- Samsonite Omni PC Hardside is a light-weight luggage bag (~10lbs) and you will also be happy to know that it includes TSA locks so you will be less bothered when going through security checkpoints.
- This luggage bag is pretty big, both the 24″ and 28″ should easily last for your 2-week vacation trips. It has a fully-zipped interior with dividers and cross-straps that will help you when organizing your travel items. With the zipper expansion feature (according to few consumer reviews on Amazon, this can add 15-20% to capacity of the suitcase), you can be sure that you can carry as much belongings as you want.
- The only con of Samsonite Omni PC Hardside is that it is not a small-sized suitcase, both the sizes are big and hence they are very difficult to put underneath the seats or in the overhead bins, but if you check-in these bags, you should be just fine. If you are looking for small and compact travel bags, unfortunately Samsonite Omni PC would not fit your needs.
On Amazon Canada, Samsonite Omni PC Hardside 28″ and 24″ size price range is $130 – $160 CAD which is well below our under $200 price threshold. Its customer rating is 4-5 stars on Amazon.
Please do not forget to watch this video:
Do click the Amazon link below and buy the Samsonite Omni PC Hardside (Amazon.com link is also provided), you cannot go wrong with this suitcase!!
28″: https://amzn.to/2NA3PJ7 (Amazon.ca)
24″: https://amzn.to/2pPoFdY (Amazon.ca)
28″: https://amzn.to/2yClomb (Amazon.com)
24″: https://amzn.to/2Pzynwr (Amazon.com)
Swiss Gear Chrome Hardside Spinner Review
Again, the focus will be on 24″ and 28″ suitcase sizes. The pros and cons are similar to Samsonite Omni PC Hardside, I wanted to display another product to you taking into consideration any brand preferences. The picture below is of size 28″:
- Swiss Gear Chrome Hardside comes in variety of suitcase sizes (28″ and 24″) and colours (blue and silver), both colours are elegant.
- Similar to Samsonite Omni PC Hardside, Swiss Gear Chrome Hardside also is very durable. It has four-wheels spinning 360 degrees which makes it easy to maneuver through rough surfaces/congested areas and helps you when carrying heavy loads of weight around. I am an owner of one of these and trust me on this that the zippers and handle are of very good quality, no issues and I have had almost 40 trips with this luggage bag already. Along with doing a good job with more valuable items in the suitcase, its hard-shelled case ABS texture is also scratch-resistant making it very handy for you in a long-run.
- It is lighter than Samsonite Omni PC Hardside (~8lbs) which makes it easier for you to travel with.
- Just like Samsonite Omni PC, this travel bag is big with inside having the ability to expand by ~3inches extra according to some Amazon customer reviews. It has fully-zipped interior and cross-straps making it convenient for you when arranging items in the suitcase and carrying a large quantity of travel items with you. Good for a 2-week vacation trip.
- There is a slight inconvenience that comes with its big size (28″ and 24″) and that is it is difficult to put aside Swiss Gear Chrome Hardside in the aircraft, so you would have to check-in this suitcase.
- Also, the fact that it does not have TSA locks, going through security checkpoints could be a slight hassle.
On Amazon Canada, Swiss Gear Chrome Hardside 28″ and 24″ price range is $120 – $150 CAD which is well below our under $200 price threshold. Its customer rating is 4-5 stars on Amazon.
Please do not forget to watch this video:
Do click the Amazon link below and buy the Swiss Gear Chrome Hardside, you cannot go wrong with this suitcase!!
28″: https://amzn.to/2CIWfek (Amazon.ca)
24″: https://amzn.to/2CfVico (Amazon.ca)
Travelpro Maxlite 5 Softside Spinner Review
Travelpro Maxlite 5 Softside Spinner is the only softside luggage bag that I will talk about today since my personal preference is a hard-shelled case due to reasons I have mentioned above but the Travelpro Maxlite 5 Softside Spinner is a real good one when it comes to softside luggage bags available globally today. The large suitcase sizes (29″ and 25″) will be discussed today.
- Travelpro Maxline 5 Softside Spinner comes in a couple of suitcase sizes (29″ and 25″) and three decent looking colours (black, azure blue and slate green).
- Similar to Samsonite Omni PC Hardside Spinner and Swiss Gear Chrome Hardside Spinner, Travelpro Maxlite 5 Softside Spinner is also quite durable. It is also a four-wheeler spinning 360 degrees and the fact that it is light-weight (<9lbs) only adds to its easy maneuverability especially important when traveling with a group of people and during the busy traveling season. It has a bottom tray design which is unique thus providing great stability on the wheels resulting in increasing the steering flexibility of this luggage bag. Its texture is polyester fabric which is both stain and water resistant (difficult to find in a softside luggage bag).
- It has fair number of pockets (exterior front pocket, side pocket and full-sized interior pocket which can expand by 2″) with cross-straps which provide you with convenience of carrying all your belongings with you instead of leaving some behind when going on a few weeks trip.
- Similar to Samsonite Omni PC Hardside Spinner and Swiss Gear Chrome Hardside Spinner, Travelpro Maxlite 5 Softside Spinner is also big thus difficult to keep with you during your flight. Check-in is required.
- Just like Swiss Gear Chrome Hardside Spinner, this luggage bag does not have TSA locks so going through security checkpoints could be a bit of a bother.
On Amazon Canada, Travelpro Maxlite 5 Softside Spinner 29″ and 25″ price range is $185 – $198 CAD so slightly above the other two but below our under $200 price threshold. Its customer rating is 4-5 stars on Amazon.
Please do not forget to watch this video:
Do click the Amazon link below (Amazon.com link added as well) and buy the Travelpro Maxlite 5 Softside Spinner, you cannot go wrong with this suitcase!!
29″: https://amzn.to/2yMbMWn (Amazon.ca)
25″: https://amzn.to/2pU1Yp4 (Amazon.ca)
29″: https://amzn.to/2pROF8z (Amazon.com)
25″: https://amzn.to/2ye6QtG (Amazon.com)
It Should be Clear Now
By looking at all the needs of the consumers on what they require from a travel bag (weight, durability, maneuverability, size/space and price), Samsonite Omni PC Hardside Spinner, Swiss Gear Chrome Hardside Spinner and Travel Pro Maxlite 5 Softside Spinner fit the bill. On top of meeting the buying criteria, they look fairly good and belong to the “top echelon” of luggage manufacturers/providers of the world.
So before you make your next long trip and if you are in need of the most important travel necessity, do consider buying any of the above by clicking the Amazon links above, I am sure you will not regret them!!
Hopefully, I have helped you through this post in making a decision on which luggage bags to invest in.
Thank you for your time!!
If you have any questions or comments, please comment below, I will respond as soon as I can. See you in a bit!!